Sunday, January 20, 2008

A moment of success

After two weeks of more conscious eating (I can't really call it a diet), I have actually seen results. I got on the scale this afternoon, and I had lost 2 1/2 pounds-- from 166 to 163.5.

I've spent the last week eating groceries and home-cooked food. Kashi GoLean cereal with whole milk has replaced bagels and cream cheese. McDonald's is off the menu, and hummus and whole-wheat pita have become my new default snack food. I've radically cut my alcohol consumption, down to about 1 drink per week, and I've been averaging 6 miles of walking per week-- usually as 2 miles X 3 days.

The thing about walking is, if I'm walking just to be walking, I won't do it. But if I have somewhere to be-- which is pretty much daily-- I don't mind the walk at all, unless I'm not feeling well or the weather is bad. And since I live about a mile from everything I might need, it works out pretty well.

Over the next week, I'm going to keep watching my eating, and see if I can get in a little more exercise. They say that 1-2 lbs a week is a healthy rate of weight loss, so with 16 weeks until my birthday, that's somewhere between 146 (which is what I weighed for years before I got a desk job) and 131 (which would make me jump up and down and scream like a lottery winner). I have this fantasy about getting a hot little sport suit for my beach trip this summer, instead of looking like a pregnant purple grape. Sorry for the TMI.

So anyway, that's progress for the week-- I don't know if anyone's actually reading this, but if you are, thanks for keeping me honest.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I am so proud of you! You're doing great, and I'm right here with you.